Urkel virus! Help please!
James Fabiano
2022-06-09 15:14:44 UTC
Does anyone know anything about the Urkel virus?
I copied some files (network packet driver stuff) from my secretary's
computer to a floppy, and then used the floppy in my system (A Compaq
running DOS 6.20). Later, when I started windows, I got the following
"CPQWDCTL Error W5: The microsoft windows 32-bit disk driver (CPQWDCTL)
cannot be loaded. There is unrecognizable disk software installed on this
computer.
The address that MS-DOS uses to communicate with the hard disk has been
changed. Some software, such as disk-caching software, changes this
address.
If you aren't running such software, you should run a virus-detection
program to make sure there is no virus on your computer.
To continue starting windows without using the 32 bit disk driver, press
any key."
I ran F-prot 2.17 and was informed that "the Urkul virus search string had
been found in memory. F-prot advised booting from a clean floppy, and
then closed. When I ran F-prot with the /NOMEM parameter, it did not
report any viruses.
I rebooted the computer and pressed the F5 key to bypass startup files ...
virus string aws still reported as present.
I booted from a clean, write-protected DOS 6.2 floppy containing F-prot.
It could not find drive C:!!! I closed F-prot and typed C: at the A:>
prompt and got the message "invalid drive specification".
I ran f-prot from the floppy with the /hard /auto /disinf parameters and
it reported Urkel? infection in Master Boot Record but it couldn't/didn't
disinfect.
I tried another clean, write protected bootable floppy - same story!
I went back to my secretary's computer. It behaved the same way, except
that the message said WDCTL instead of CPQWDCTL (her system is not a
COMPAQ, its an HP).
Oh yeah .... the bootable floppies that I tried behaved properly (i.e.
drive C: could be recognized) in another, uninfected PC in my department.
after booting, but I again get reports of the Urkul virus in memory.
HELP!!!
How do I clean this virus up I can't address drive C: after booting from a
clean floppy??
Did it do that??????
David W. Hodgins
2022-06-09 15:31:13 UTC
Post by James Fabiano
Does anyone know anything about the Urkel virus?
Did it do that??????
It's unlikely the computer posted about 27 years ago is still in use.

Regards, Dave Hodgins
James Fabiano
The Urkel Virus still exists! I remember seeing it!!!
David W. Hodgins
2022-06-16 16:24:39 UTC
Post by James Fabiano
Post by David W. Hodgins
Post by James Fabiano
Does anyone know anything about the Urkel virus?
Did it do that??????
It's unlikely the computer posted about 27 years ago is still in use.
Regards, Dave Hodgins
The Urkel Virus still exists! I remember seeing it!!!
Lol. The solution for it and similar boot sector infectors was to boot from
a write protected dos boot floppy and run "fdisk /mbr c:".

Not many computers still have working floppy drives though. None of mine do.

According to www.diskpart.com/articles/boot-sector-repair-4125.html it's now
boot from the windows startup cd/dvd and run "Bootrec.exe /FixBoot".

I haven't used windows on any of my computers since win 98, though I still some
times help others with newer versions.

Now, I'd boot from a linux live iso image on a usb drive, use that to install
grub2, grub2-efi, or refind, depending on hardware and preferences, to the drive.

Regards, Dave Hodgins
Nomen Nescio
Perhaps there's more than one virus called Urkel.
David W. Hodgins
2023-03-02 20:21:03 UTC
Post by Nomen Nescio
Post by James Fabiano
Post by David W. Hodgins
Post by James Fabiano
Does anyone know anything about the Urkel virus?
Did it do that??????
It's unlikely the computer posted about 27 years ago is still in use.
Regards, Dave Hodgins
The Urkel Virus still exists! I remember seeing it!!!
Perhaps there's more than one virus called Urkel.
Look above. In June 1995, Audrey asked about the urkel virus. Note that in 1995,
windows still ran on top of dos, so a master boot record infection would be
based on dos.

In June 2022, 27 years later, James asked if it really did what Audrey asked
about.

A search for Urkel virus still only points to the 1995 version. No more recent
versions show up.

The only problem here is that google hides the fact that the articles are from
usenet, not google groups, and makes it much less likely that people replying
to a thread will notice the date of the article they are replying to.

Regards, Dave Hodgins