File on desktop after reboot
DC
2003-07-14 20:19:19 UTC
I got the ***@mm virus 2 couple of weeks ago.
I followed the instructions on symantec's site for removal and removed it.
Now after rebooting my machine a file a appears on my decktop named
~ ( the tilde) it contains parts of my address book.
Is this the same virus or a different one?
How do I stop this from happening?
I have the latest version of Anti virus corp. with current defs and it finds
nothing.
Hope someone out there can give me a place to start.
thx
DC
StarScripter
2003-07-14 20:31:56 UTC
Post by DC
I followed the instructions on symantec's site for removal and removed
it. Now after rebooting my machine a file a appears on my decktop named
~ ( the tilde) it contains parts of my address book.
Is this the same virus or a different one?
How do I stop this from happening?
I have the latest version of Anti virus corp. with current defs and it
finds nothing.
Hope someone out there can give me a place to start.
thx
DC
Hi,
That (tilde) file is most probably appearing as the result
of installing the "April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook
Express (330994)". Microsoft is aware of the problem and is
supposedly working on a fix. Many people are experiencing this
problem and from what I've read about this problem that icon
will also reappear when you reply to an e-mail and you have
your Outlook Express set up to enter the persons e-mail
address to your address book whenever you reply to an e-mail.
You can either just put up with it or follow the uninstall
directions for the patch at the link below.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/330994/default.asp

hth
--
Regards,
Star
DC
2003-07-14 20:41:52 UTC
Good old Microsoft, they fix a problem and create 10 others.
Thanks Star.
I'll put up with it until the next patch.
Post by StarScripter
Post by DC
[...]
Post by StarScripter
hth
--
Regards,
Star
ozzy
2003-08-25 14:59:08 UTC
Post by DC
I followed the instructions on symantec's site for removal and removed it.
Now after rebooting my machine a file a appears on my decktop named
~ ( the tilde) it contains parts of my address book.
Is this the same virus or a different one?
How do I stop this from happening?
I have the latest version of Anti virus corp. with current defs and it finds
nothing.
Hope someone out there can give me a place to start.
thx
DC
Relax it's NOT a virus... it's just MICROSOFT..... again!

Several of my clients also have this problem & I spent weeks trying to solve
it. It was just too errant and not reliable in it's consistency of showing
up to initially locate the problem. We finally figured it out and eliminated
from all the affected pc's by un-installing MSN messenger. Problem
disappeared and over 2 months now with no re-occurrence Some of the affected
need BOTH OE & MSN messenger un-installed then only OE got re-installed on
those pc's. Solved all the problems & the tilde character has not
reappeared. Hope this fix will cure your problem to.

PPS. Only (1) pc out of dozens managed to keep BOTH her OE & MSN messenger.
She just selected "this is a shared computer... don't store my address book
on it" under the PRIVACY TAB. It worked & stopped the tilde for her but
none of the other computers were fixed with that approach.

ozzy