Beware of Kazaa or Morpheus
mg
2003-08-20 05:55:03 UTC
My son downloaded Morpheus and the next day Kaza. Here is a file from
the Adware one of these programs installs.

[Aureate]
content=Ad server. Installs as a Windows service.
infourl=none

[Timesink]
content=Ad server. Records browser history.
infourl=none

[CometCursor]
content=Displays small ads within its user interface. Connects to
CometCursor when the cursor is changed or a link in the user interface
is clicked.
infourl=none

[Cydoor]
content=Ad delivery software.
infourl=none

[Gator]
content=Possible of 'drive-by downloads'. Tracks browser use. Ad
delivery software. Other Gator/GAIN software; DateManager, PrecisionTime

infourl=none

[Web3000]
content=MSBB.EXE Ad network. Also known as NCase.
infourl=none

[Flyswat]
content=Tracks user web browsing. Installs a GUID. Ad server
infourl=none

[Alexa]
content=Installed with Internet Explorer and some Microsoft updates.
Alexa is the "What's Related links" feature on your Internet Explorer
toolbar. Alexa technology uses a 'web crawler' (bot).
infourl=none

[Adware]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[Doubleclick]
content=DoubleClick ad-serving cookie. Gathers information identifying
your ISP, the region where you are located, your IP address, and the
websites on which your browser has encountered an advertisement or a
clear GIF file. Tracks users web browsing and click thrus
infourl=none

[WebHancer]
content=Hooks into winsock, all packets are passed through WebHancer.
infourl=none

[DSSAgent]
content=Connects to www.brodcast.net and stage.broder.com
infourl=none

[OnFlow]
content=Advertising BHO. Tracks ads displayed.
infourl=none

[EverAd]
content=Ad server.
infourl=none

[Gratisware]
content=Advertising BHO. Causes pop up ads. Tracks ad views.
infourl=none

[Other]
content=Unnamed or unclassified object
infourl=none

[SaveNow]
content=Advertising software. Ads are shown based on URLs visited by the
user, search terms typed into search engines, content of the page viewed
by the user, the country and/or zip code of the user.
infourl=none

[HotBar]
content=Tracks browser use and web forms filled in, even when disabled.
infourl=none

[N]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[Expedioware]
content=Ad server. Collects personal information. Partnered with
Flycast.
infourl=none

[EzuLa]
content=Thiefware. Inserts its own yellow links on the website you are
visiting.
infourl=none

[Transponder]
content=Installs as a BHO. Causes pop up ads. Tracks browsing and some
computer use.
infourl=none

[NCase]
content=MSBB.EXE Ad network. Replaces WSock32.dll with a wrapper dll.
Also known as Web3000.
infourl=none

[TwistedHumor]
content=Ad server. Displays ads that cover the entire browser window.
Sells user information.
infourl=none

[Surf+]
content=Thiefware. Inserts its own green links on the website you are
visiting.
infourl=none

[BonziBuddy]
content=Part of the Gator/GAIN ad network.
infourl=none

[WurldMedia]
content=Thiefware. Redirects the browser to their affilates sites when
the user makes a purchase.
infourl=none

[Lop.com]
content=Malware, browser and system hijacker, installs expensive porn
dialers, cloaks your registry.
infourl=none

[NetworkEssentials]
content=Installs a BHO. Tracks browser use. Causes pop up ads.
infourl=none

[ImiServerIEPlugin]
content=BHO. Tracks browser use, information entered into online forms
and system file names. Causes pop ups.
infourl=none

[Possible Browser Hijack attempt]
content=Possible attempt to control\redirect the browser.This object
referrs to a "blacklisted" site.
infourl=none

[OpenMe]
content=Porn ad server.
infourl=none

[GoHip]
content=Browser hijacker.
infourl=none

[Porn Dialer]
content=Dialer.
infourl=none

[BrilliantDigital]
content=Sells your hard drive space, CPU cycles, and bandwidth.
infourl=none

[DownloadWare]
content=Downloads and installs software and ads.
infourl=none

[EzSearchbar]
content=An Internet Explorer toolbar. Causes pop up ads.
infourl=none

[TopMoxie]
content=Ad server. Installs an uniqe user ID.
infourl=none

[FlashTrack]
content=BHO. Tracks web pages viewed and terms entered into search
engines.
infourl=none

[ClickTillUWin]
content=Advertising trojan.
infourl=none

[NetRadar]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[UCmore]
content=Installs a BHO. Tracks browser use.
infourl=none

[Netzany]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[NetSource]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[WinAD]
content=WNAD Ad server. TwistedHumor.
infourl=none

[SearchIt]
content=A toolbar offering search features via searchit.com. Installed
by ActiveX drive-by downloads in pop-up ads.
infourl=none

[AdBreak]
content=Installs a BHO. Causes pop up ads. Tracks click thrus.
infourl=none

[SearchExplorerBar]
content=Installed by drive by download. Tracks browser use.
infourl=none

[HomepageWare]
content=Hijacks your browser
infourl=none

[BullaBHO]
content=BHO. Places its own ads over the ads on websites you are
viewing. Browser Hijacker.
infourl=none

[NowBox]
content=Ad server.
infourl=none

[TrustToolBar]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[7FaSSt]
content=Installed by ActiveX. Installs a user ID. Tracks browser use.
Records the names of folders, images and other objects on the system.
infourl=none

[IGetNet]
content=Installs a BHO. Browser and Hosts file hijacker.
infourl=none

[Kontiki]
content=Assigns you an unique ID, tracks content delivered through the
Kontiki Downloadmanager
infourl=none

[iWon]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[Xupiter]
content=Installed by ActiveX drive by download. Browser hijacker. Causes
pop unders.
infourl=none

[HuntToolBar]
content=Browser hijacker. Tracks browser use.
infourl=none

[CnsMin]
content=In detection due to being installed by drive by download.
Replaces Internet Explorers search features with Chinese sites.
infourl=none

[Datemanager/Gator]
content=Part of the Gator/GAIN ad network.
infourl=none

[DelFin/PromulGate]
content=User tracking system. Capable of tracking a user directly to the
area the user resides in.
infourl=none

[FriendGreetings]
content=Offered as a free greeting card. Copies all of the users Outlook
contacts and e-mails them a card also.
infourl=none

[NewNet]
content=Downloads and installs updates to itself silently.
infourl=none

[Precisiontime/Gator/GAIN]
content=Part of the Gator/GAIN ad network.
infourl=none

[WhenUSave]
content=Part of the SaveNow ad network.
infourl=none

[Searchalot]
content=Browser hijacker. Offers free software downloads that are
actually a small program to hijack the users browser.
infourl=none

[Showbehind]
content=Ad server
infourl=none

[TotemAdverts]
content=StripSaver ad server.
infourl=none

[TGDC]
content=Thiefware. Browser hijacker.
infourl=none

[TGDC(md)]
content=Thiefware. Browser hijacker.
infourl=none

[SEXDIALER]
content=Dialer.
infourl=none

[CommonName]
content=Browser search hijacker. Causes ads. Recent variant installs a
Winsock LSP.
infourl=none

[Netster Searchbar]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[Adultlinks Quickbar]
content=Adds an IE explorer bar as well as dozens of links to porn sites

infourl=none

[Tracking Cookie]
content=Source of this cookie is known to collect information used for
targeted advertising
infourl=none

[ImIServer IEPlugin]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[EarnWithAds]
content=Displays banner ads and tracks clickrates
infourl=none

[Aveo Attune]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[Dialers]
content=No Information available
infourl=none

[PurityScan]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[Scratch And Win]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[Showserver(Telecoin) Dialer]
content=Common dialer
infourl=none

[eXact Search Bar]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[CashBar]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[Marketscore(Netsetter)]
content=Installs a proxy, cashes outgoing traffic
infourl=none

[ZapSpot]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[AdvertBar]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[ExactSearchBar]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[Dialer]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[RapidBlaster]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[Cytron]
content=Worm
infourl=none

[IPInsight]
content=No Information Available
infourl=none

[SecretCrush]
content=Browser Hijacker
infourl=none

[Unknown]

mmg
W.S. Blevins
2003-08-21 16:57:28 UTC
Post by mg
My son downloaded Morpheus and the next day Kaza. Here is a file from
the Adware one of these programs installs.
<snip>

Just download Kazaa Lite, use an up to date virus scanner and you
should have no problems.
Will Dormann
2003-08-21 18:37:15 UTC
Post by W.S. Blevins
Post by mg
My son downloaded Morpheus and the next day Kaza. Here is a file from
the Adware one of these programs installs.
<snip>
Just download Kazaa Lite, use an up to date virus scanner and you
should have no problems.
I'm not aware of too many virus scanners that detect adware. (Thus
ad-aware)

-WD
n***@zilch.com
2003-08-21 19:02:27 UTC
Post by Will Dormann
Post by W.S. Blevins
Post by mg
My son downloaded Morpheus and the next day Kaza. Here is a file from
the Adware one of these programs installs.
<snip>
Just download Kazaa Lite, use an up to date virus scanner and you
should have no problems.
I'm not aware of too many virus scanners that detect adware. (Thus
ad-aware)
I don't think that's what Blevins meant. A major concern is malware
... viruses and Trojans on these P2P networks. People post here all
the time complaining of Kazaa related malware infections. If you're
going to fool with that sort of crap you had better dump IE as well.
In fact, dump it in any event :)

Art
http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg
n***@zilch.com
2003-08-21 19:16:28 UTC
Post by n***@zilch.com
If you're
going to fool with that sort of crap you had better dump IE as well.
In fact, dump it in any event :)
I tried Mozilla but it seems that most web sites are written for IE.
When did you try Moz? I'm using version 1.5a and having no problems at
all with any web sites. I keep Opera around for crummy web sites that
are only IE friendly but I haven't had to use it now in a quite a long
time. IE was eradicated and banned from my PCs years ago. Never missed
it one bit.

Art
http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg
Bart Bailey
2003-08-21 22:02:53 UTC
Post by n***@zilch.com
IE was eradicated and banned from my PCs years ago. Never missed
it one bit.
That contradicts something you said recently.
Bart
n***@zilch.com
2003-08-21 22:49:10 UTC
Post by Bart Bailey
Post by n***@zilch.com
IE was eradicated and banned from my PCs years ago. Never missed
it one bit.
That contradicts something you said recently.
You mean about temporarily installing IE6 since M$ wouldn't allow me
patch my "new" Win ME PC without IE? On a fresh install, there's only
two uses for IE before IERadicator hacks it to death. One is to d/l
Mozilla and the other is to d/l OS patches. But there's absolutely no
use for OE at all.

Art
http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg
Bart Bailey
2003-08-22 02:55:45 UTC
Post by n***@zilch.com
On a fresh install, there's only
two uses for IE before IERadicator hacks it to death. One is to d/l
Mozilla and the other is to d/l OS patches. But there's absolutely no
use for OE at all.
Well, I can't comment on the procedure to patch an OS that I wouldn't
want in the first place, but as for a portable browser to DL whatever
else you need off the net, OB1 fits on a floppy.
http://www.offbyone.com/images/OffByOneNoSSL.zip
Bart
Michael Cecil
2003-08-22 07:53:22 UTC
Post by Bart Bailey
Post by n***@zilch.com
On a fresh install, there's only
two uses for IE before IERadicator hacks it to death. One is to d/l
Mozilla and the other is to d/l OS patches. But there's absolutely no
use for OE at all.
Well, I can't comment on the procedure to patch an OS that I wouldn't
want in the first place, but as for a portable browser to DL whatever
else you need off the net, OB1 fits on a floppy.
http://www.offbyone.com/images/OffByOneNoSSL.zip
I've got Mozilla Embedded and OB1 on my PE CD. :)
--
Michael Cecil
***@comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~antiviruscd/
n***@zilch.com
2003-08-22 12:51:01 UTC
Post by Bart Bailey
Post by n***@zilch.com
On a fresh install, there's only
two uses for IE before IERadicator hacks it to death. One is to d/l
Mozilla and the other is to d/l OS patches. But there's absolutely no
use for OE at all.
Well, I can't comment on the procedure to patch an OS that I wouldn't
want in the first place,
Still using Win 95? I've got OSR2 installed on a ancient Dell PC which
has a 486-66 and 32 meg RAM. I'm amazed at how fast it boots up and
shuts down. Smooth as silk. Probably loaded though with serious buffer
overrun and other vulnerabilites for which M$ supplies no patches.

Art
http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg
Kevin G. Rhoads
2003-08-23 14:54:16 UTC
Post by n***@zilch.com
Still using Win 95? I've got OSR2 installed on a ancient Dell PC which
has a 486-66 and 32 meg RAM. I'm amazed at how fast it boots up and
shuts down. Smooth as silk. Probably loaded though with serious buffer
overrun and other vulnerabilites for which M$ supplies no patches.
But vulnerabilities that are unlikely to be targeted, what vx dweeb
would target W95 when there's XP to target?
n***@zilch.com
2003-08-23 16:38:15 UTC
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:54:16 -0400, "Kevin G. Rhoads"
Post by Kevin G. Rhoads
Post by n***@zilch.com
Still using Win 95? I've got OSR2 installed on a ancient Dell PC which
has a 486-66 and 32 meg RAM. I'm amazed at how fast it boots up and
shuts down. Smooth as silk. Probably loaded though with serious buffer
overrun and other vulnerabilites for which M$ supplies no patches.
But vulnerabilities that are unlikely to be targeted, what vx dweeb
would target W95 when there's XP to target?
You have a point.

Art
http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

n***@zilch.com
2003-08-21 19:31:42 UTC
Post by n***@zilch.com
If you're
going to fool with that sort of crap you had better dump IE as well.
In fact, dump it in any event :)
I tried Mozilla but it seems that most web sites are written for IE.
Have you seen these? Two more in the unending and disgraceful saga of
the disaster called Inernet Explorer:

http://www.secunia.com/advisories/9580/
http://www.secunia.com/advisories/9534/

Art
http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg
Michael Cecil
2003-08-21 21:46:09 UTC
Post by n***@zilch.com
If you're
going to fool with that sort of crap you had better dump IE as well.
In fact, dump it in any event :)
I tried Mozilla but it seems that most web sites are written for IE.
I've used Mozilla as my browser since 1.0 finally came out. The only
site that I can think of that it doesn't work on is WindowsUpdate.
W.S. Blevins
2003-08-21 23:21:24 UTC
Post by Michael Cecil
Post by n***@zilch.com
If you're
going to fool with that sort of crap you had better dump IE as well.
In fact, dump it in any event :)
I tried Mozilla but it seems that most web sites are written for IE.
I've used Mozilla as my browser since 1.0 finally came out. The only
site that I can think of that it doesn't work on is WindowsUpdate.
It doesn't work well with some sites such as games.com. Some of the
games really require IE or they're all fucked up.
Michael Cecil
2003-08-21 23:29:28 UTC
Post by W.S. Blevins
It doesn't work well with some sites such as games.com. Some of the
games really require IE or they're all fucked up.
How does a game require a browser? I don't do Flash or Java.
n***@zilch.com
2003-08-22 00:03:32 UTC
Post by W.S. Blevins
Post by Michael Cecil
I've used Mozilla as my browser since 1.0 finally came out. The only
site that I can think of that it doesn't work on is WindowsUpdate.
It doesn't work well with some sites such as games.com. Some of the
games really require IE or they're all fucked up.
So you break safe hex rules and lower your security settings to play
these on-line games, right? You put reliance on some realtime av to
save your butt, right? If so, all I've got to say is "Geeezz!!! When
will they ever learn?"

Art
http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg
kurt wismer
2003-08-22 12:47:11 UTC
[snip]
Post by W.S. Blevins
Post by Michael Cecil
I tried Mozilla but it seems that most web sites are written for IE.
I've used Mozilla as my browser since 1.0 finally came out. The only
site that I can think of that it doesn't work on is WindowsUpdate.
It doesn't work well with some sites such as games.com. Some of the
games really require IE or they're all fucked up.
some web games are activex control based... for those you'll either
need to use ie or, possibly get some activex plug-in for mozilla (if
one exists)...

some web games are java based... for those you may need to additionally
install the latest java runtime from sun microsystems... the mozilla
guys (unlike microsoft) are smart enough to not try to implement and
distribute their own jvm...

the javascript ones (if there are any) should work on mozilla right out
of the box...

--
"hungry people don't stay hungry for long
they get hope from fire and smoke as the weak grow strong
they get hope from fire and smoke as they reach for the dawn"
Bart Bailey
2003-08-21 21:58:40 UTC
Post by n***@zilch.com
If you're
going to fool with that sort of crap you had better dump IE as well.
In fact, dump it in any event :)
I thought you had returned to the fold WRT IE <g>
Say, what's the difference between the old ierad31, and the newer
ierad2001. I just noticed the new one when I was looking for a source
for someone recently, same author, similar (small changes) inf.
Bart
Bart Bailey
2003-08-21 22:01:28 UTC
Post by n***@zilch.com
If you're
going to fool with that sort of crap you had better dump IE as well.
In fact, dump it in any event :)
I tried Mozilla but it seems that most web sites are written for IE.
Then don't patronize those sites.
email the webmaster if there's something you really want and let them
know that your business is going elsewhere because of it.
Bart
Will Dormann
2003-08-22 17:48:35 UTC
Post by n***@zilch.com
If you're
going to fool with that sort of crap you had better dump IE as well.
In fact, dump it in any event :)
I tried Mozilla but it seems that most web sites are written for IE.
I guess it depends on the websites you're visiting. Personally, I
can't think of a single website that doesn't work with Mozilla. (aside
from WindowsUpdate, but that's expected)

Lately I've been using Mozilla Phoenix, and I'm very impressed. Mozilla
is nice, but it might be somewhat overwhelming to a new user. Phoenix,
on the other hand, is lean and mean and pretty much comes configured the
way I would do it right out of the box. (where with Mozilla I would
go into the prefs and set quite a few things)

Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed. Tabs, banner blocking, no
pop-ups, fully integrated web search, and without all the exploits that
IE has.

-WD
W.S. Blevins
2003-08-21 19:08:29 UTC
Kazaa Lite has no adware.
Michael
2003-08-21 20:20:49 UTC
Post by mg
My son downloaded Morpheus and the next day Kaza. Here is a file from
the Adware one of these programs installs.
I work on computers for a living, 95 % of the trashed systems have
this music download crapware on them. These are some of the most
poorly written pieces of software ever made. Take your pick of
download crapware, sooner or later your files will get trashed.
Michael
FromTheRafters
Is it the software causing the problems, or the use of the software?
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
Bruce Chambers
2003-08-22 14:36:53 UTC
Greetings --

Yes, this is pretty common knowledge. Peer-to-peer file sharing
applications share mostly spyware and viruses.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

[...]