mIRC installed surreptitiously
Chung Leong
2003-08-24 20:23:20 UTC
I was doing some clean up on my system when I noticed mIRC in my list
of installed programs. I never chat on IRC so I know I didn't install
the program myself. Later when I did a scan using TrendMicro, the
IRC_BLOOD.BI virus shows up. What I would like to know is how the
virus got on my system. I'm running a firewall after all.
Dr Halonfires LesGirl
2003-08-24 21:22:59 UTC
http://www.no-more-trojans.com/irctrojan/
--
NEW SECTION:-
Virus Alerts LIVE from Sophos !
at http://tinyurl.com/fks4
s***@compusmart.ab.ca
2003-08-24 21:58:00 UTC
Post by Chung Leong
I was doing some clean up on my system when I noticed mIRC in my list
of installed programs. I never chat on IRC so I know I didn't install
the program myself. Later when I did a scan using TrendMicro, the
IRC_BLOOD.BI virus shows up. What I would like to know is how the
virus got on my system. I'm running a firewall after all.
The question is: how did mIRC get installed on the system? Who
installed it? Was it run? Conceivably, an infected version of mIRC
was installed. Or the machine was compromised otherwise and the
install was done remotely. etc.

You don't indicate what Firewall you have. Nor what the setting are.
A typical software firewall will not protect from a virus (or likely
trojan in this case), if the traffic was initiated from your machine
(mIRC or other) and was permitted through by the user.

Time to look at the logs. And check out your system. Or format and
reinstall.

Roger