Sygate - Windows Update Client Has Changed??
Rog
2003-08-23 08:48:19 UTC
I got a warning about this this morning.
I did accept an update yesterday so has the update client been changed in
that?
I notice the old file is in C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$ but I put
service pack 4 (W2K) on weeks ago!!

The file I have is 138KB dated 19/8/2003.
Properties show Product Version 5.4.3630.2554.

I have Sygate Personal Firewall and AVG Free.
The OS is W2K.

Can anyone tell me if I am ok please?

Cheers.
Roger.

---
W.S. Blevins
2003-08-23 10:10:38 UTC
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:48:19 +0000 (UTC), "Rog"
Post by Rog
Can anyone tell me if I am ok please?
Since your AVG program seemingly certifies your email as "virus free",
perhaps it will do the same for your computer.
Rog

optikl
2003-08-23 11:13:59 UTC
Post by Rog
I got a warning about this this morning.
I did accept an update yesterday so has the update client been changed in
that?
I notice the old file is in C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$ but I put
service pack 4 (W2K) on weeks ago!!
The file I have is 138KB dated 19/8/2003.
Properties show Product Version 5.4.3630.2554.
I have Sygate Personal Firewall and AVG Free.
The OS is W2K.
Can anyone tell me if I am ok please?
Cheers.
Roger.
---
There was a security update this week for both Win2K and IE6. Are you
certain you don't have automatic update invoked?
Rog
2003-08-23 21:25:30 UTC
Post by optikl
Post by Rog
I got a warning about this this morning.
I did accept an update yesterday so has the update client been changed in
that?
I notice the old file is in C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$ but I put
service pack 4 (W2K) on weeks ago!!
The file I have is 138KB dated 19/8/2003.
Properties show Product Version 5.4.3630.2554.
I have Sygate Personal Firewall and AVG Free.
The OS is W2K.
Can anyone tell me if I am ok please?
Cheers.
Roger.
---
There was a security update this week for both Win2K and IE6. Are you
certain you don't have automatic update invoked?
I do have it invoked and have done for several months now but I have never
had this warning before.

---
S.Heenan
2003-08-24 04:03:56 UTC
Post by Rog
I got a warning about this this morning.
I did accept an update yesterday so has the update client been
changed in that?
I notice the old file is in C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$ but I
put service pack 4 (W2K) on weeks ago!!
The file I have is 138KB dated 19/8/2003.
Properties show Product Version 5.4.3630.2554.
I have Sygate Personal Firewall and AVG Free.
The OS is W2K.
Can anyone tell me if I am ok please?
The Sygate firewall, among others, uses a checksum,probably MD5, against an
application's executable. If the file is changed, either by a legitimate
update or by a non-legitimate application, the firewall will report this
change. It is then up to the user to decide whether or not to allow the
executable access to the network.

For example: You install Sygate and it creates a checksum for DumTrakr.exe
which has an initial file size of 12,345 bytes. Sometime later a update
changes the file size to 12,347 bytes. The MD5 checksum changes and the
firewall issues a report. Even if neither the file name nor the size of the
exe changes, the MD5 checksum will change and you will receive notification
from the firewall.
Scan the file with a newly updated AV application before allowing it access
to the network.
--
Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated